Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Politics and Writing

I'm the sort of person who has too many hobbies.

I like cooking, reading, and hiking.  I enjoy playing golf, lectures are always fun, and protests are exhilarating to witness.  Sometimes I'll run through a Python tutorial, or try to muddle through an introductory HTML exercise.  I have an underutilized easel in my bedroom.

See, I've always liked too many things, and I tend to want to be too many things.

So a few years ago, when I finally realized what I actually love, I found myself surprised at how little overlap there was between my twin passions in the real world.

I'm fascinated by the political process, and I'm transfixed by good writing.  After  a few years of understanding my passions I've noticed the two don't come in the same package often enough.  Occasionally I'll find a compelling piece over at Longform, and every now and again I'll pick up a political thriller and find myself lost in a narrative.

But good writing and political conversation should go hand in hand all the time, in both fiction and nonfiction. It's a question of frequency.

No comments:

Post a Comment